Taking Care of Our Own
The United States is an amazing place filled with opportunities and freedoms. When our family members and friends join forces to protect these, it is a selfless act of courage, loyalty, dedication and love. Many soldiers return home in despair. Though their struggles are often misunderstood, we are quickly reminded that before they became soldiers, we called them moms and dads, sons and daughters, family, friends, classmates, neighbors, coworkers, even family and friends of friends. On returning home, they do not become an agency responsibility. As their families and friends, we honor their service with greatest expressions of respect and compassionate care. As their families and friends, we come together and take care of our own.
Veterans Forever Soldiers is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit organization and has provided outreach support to thousands of veterans, for ten plus years. The inspiration for the Veterans Forever Soldiers mission came out of tragedy. While watching a newscast, Mr. Smith, VFS Co-founder and 15 year Army Veteran, learned of a veteran who, due to extensive posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), committed suicide. Further research produced staggering results of:
- Family deprivation
- Mental health issues
- Alcohol and drug issues
- Lack of community support
- Post-traumatic stress
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Benefits entitlement issues
- Loss of jobs
Since then, the VFS commitment to help alleviate the suffering of veterans has been steadfast.
Veterans Forever Soldiers Purpose
Veterans Forever Soldiers’ purpose is to be an effective source of help for veterans and their families. Our non-judgmental and compassionate approach allows us to:
- Administer care and attention to gain TRUST, allowing veterans to open up so that we can provide needed services.
- Offer HOPE and add value to the lives of veterans seeking to make sense of their experiences.
- Offer solutions and preventive measures to assist with their HEALING.
By their own aspirations, veterans begin to feel whole again, become empowered and live meaningful lives through determination and valued purpose.
Veterans Forever Soldiers Mission
The VFS mission to HONOR, RESPECT, and CARE for United States military veterans encompasses the restoration of dignity that veterans deserve.
Selfless and Courageous
What does it mean to have sacrificed?
- Ask a veteran soldier who has lost his comrades.
- At the cemetery, ask those veteran soldiers who have lost their lives.
- Ask a veteran soldier who is separated from his/her family.
- Ask veteran soldiers who have lost their homes and jobs.
- To the veteran soldier on the sidewalk holding up a cardboard sign, ask him what it means to have lost: limbs, a good night’s sleep, daily hot meals, clean clothes, and respect.
- Ask the veteran spouse or children who cry out for understanding.
- And to the veteran soldier who has not lost any of the above and who holds his head high in honor, ask him what it means to have sacrificed.
Optimum health is more than the absence of disease; and in our focus is defined broadly to include the full range of quality of life issues and the dimensions of wellness – mental, physical, emotional, social, cultural, and environmental wholeness. To be effective, Veterans Forever Soldiers’ wholistic-based programs administer care with compassion, getting to the root of the trauma to help veterans heal from the inside out – reestablishing inner value and retaking their place in society as wholesome citizens living better lives.